Sunday, December 19, 2010

Time to bake some treats

This week's challenge on Catch The Bug is a baking challenge and I didn't need any prompting for this one. I had already planned on baking some of my favorite holiday treat, Caramel Nut Crunch. Oh my goodness is this stuff ever YUMMY?!!!! It should be illegal. I can't stop munching it.

The challenge was to bake and include either a baking image or a recipe on your project.

I made a gift tag to attach to a bag of the yummy stuff which is going to be given to a friend. Inside the tag, I have included the recipe so maybe they can add it to their Christmas recipes.

Here is what it looks like:



I know it's hard to read so I'm gonna post the recipe at the end of this post.

I printed Lights Stick Fairy and colored her using copics and prismacolor pencils.

To give her some sparkle I added glossy accents and glitter to her hat, trim of her dress and wings.

All I had to do then was cut her out and attach her and a tag to the ornament I made using my scallop and circle punches. I also added a little bit of sponging and stitching for that extra touch.

Here is the recipe for Caramel Nut Crunch

2 cups each rice and corn chex cereal
2 cups popped popcorn (remove any unpopped kernals)
1 cup each almonds and pecans

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spread half the mixture on a cookie sheet and place in the oven to keep warm while you prepare the caramel.

Make two batches of caramel but do them one at a time, I don't recommend doubling the recipe.

Each batch consists of:

1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 TBSP white corn syrup
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp vanilla

Butter the sides and bottom of a saucepan and add the butter, sugar and syrup to it. Heat on medium high heat til mixture starts to boil and stir constantly til it reaches the hard ball stage. Approximately 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla and baking soda.

Pour caramel over nut mixture and stir to coat then place back in the oven and bake for fifteen minutes. Let cool for five and break apart and store in an airtight container.

I'm telling you! This stuff is so good it should come with a warning!

Hope you're having a great weekend. I'm on break for the next couple of weeks so I plan on doing a lot of crafting. Hope y'all don't get tired of me.

Thanks for stopping by! TTFN

Hugs, Becky

5 comments:

Melissa S. said...

What a fun project. I want some' Yummy! I love the way you colored the image. Great job and thanks for playing along with us at Bugaboo this week.

Jenny said...

What a great little gift sack!! Yummy! It is so cute with a Bugaboo tag on it. Thanks for playing in the Bugaboo Challenge with us!

Min said...

Adorable project, YUMMY recipe!!
Thanks so much for playin' along with us for this week's Bugaboo Stamps Catch The Bug "Food" Challenge. Hope you'll join us again soon!
Hugs & Happy Days!
~Min

Rae Anne said...

Oh, I loved your layered image and sentiment banner!!! I'm never going to make this, but I'm open to receiving it in the mail. . .;) Thanks so much for participating in Catch the Bug's Cookie Exchange challenge with Bugaboo Stamps! :D MWAH!

Tammy Miller said...

First off I am so sorry that I am so behind getting my commenting done but Christmas has gotten in the way to say the least! But, Oh this is SO sweet. I love the combination of papers and colors these are just PERFECT! Thanks for joining the Catch the Bug Challenge last week for our Food Challenge, I hope you'll join us again.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails